- 05 April, 2016
- 18 April, 2012
- Kitchen Cleaning Tips
How to Allergy-Proof Your Kitchen
Part 4 in a 4-Part Series about How to Clean Your Home to Eliminate Allergens
This blog post is meant solely for informational purposes. It is not intended to provide medical advice. Please consult your physician for details about treating allergies.
Your house is a place to relax and entertain family and friends, far from the worries of the outside world. But is your home a haven for hidden allergens? Do dust mites hang out on your sofa as much as you do? Do mold spores hide in the crevices of your shower? Unseen housemates can turn a happy home into a house of allergy horrors.
Over the past four weeks, we have discussed some housecleaning basics for eliminating allergens in the home. This final post in our four-week series will focus on how to clean your home to eliminate allergies from your kitchen.
Allergy-Proof Your Kitchen
Like the bathroom, your kitchen likely features surfaces made of porcelain and tile. So keeping it allergy-free requires a different approach than what is necessary to eliminate allergies in areas with lots of soft surfaces.
Although bed bugs and dust mites don’t hang around in the kitchen, cockroaches love the kitchen because it is a prime hunting ground. Also, another allergy-producer is the humble mold spore, which loves kitchens because they usually contain plenty of moisture. To encourage the infestation of roaches and growth of mold, all you need to do is scatter crumbs, spills liquids and leave spilled food that falls between the stove and counter top.
If you would prefer to discourage these types of unwelcome house guests, you’ll need to diligently work to keep your kitchen clean. Unlike other areas that can be left unattended, you should clean your kitchen each and every day. What’s more, you should do a heavy-duty cleaning job every week or at least twice a month. If you follow these simple steps, you will easily eliminate allergens in your kitchen.
- Immediately wash each and every dish. A dirty pan left to soak is an ideal venue for wining and dining.
- Pests love clutter. The more clutter on your counter, the more time it will take you to clean off every surface and the more likely you are to fail to clean every single crumb.
- Dispose of waste in sealed garbage containers. If you dump food scraps down the garbage disposal, turn the disposal on immediately and rinse the sink right away.
- Pet food that’s left out is an open invitation to roaches. So remove dog and pet food bowls when not in use.
- Sweep or vacuum kitchen corners and underneath all major appliances to remove all crumbs. Also, clean the drip pan under the stove and empty the crumb plate in the toaster. Use a warm, soapy rag to wipe up messes.
- Use glass, plastic, or metal containers to store all food in cabinets and on countertops.
- A pile of brown paper bags or newspapers makes for a perfect hiding place. Place old papers in a sealed plastic box away from food.
- Cockroaches are tough to get rid of, so don’t despair if you see a scout. Just keep up with regular house cleaning.
- Eat your food. If you aren’t going to eat it, pitch it right away instead of giving mold the perfect place to hibernate.
- Keep the kitchen well-ventilated.
- Don’t give mold a chance to grow. Immediately wipe up spills.
- Buy easy-to-clean kitchen furniture, preferably made of wood, plastic, vinyl, or glass. Fabric-covered furniture absorbs spills, collects crumbs and attracts mold.
- Replace carpeting with vinyl, tile, or hardwood.
- Clean the often-neglected drip pan underneath the refrigerator to prevent it from becoming a watering hole for roaches, not to mention a mold colony.
- Immediately clean up any spills in the refrigerator.
- Wash the garbage can and regularly deodorize your garbage disposal.
If your commitment to keeping a clean home extends beyond your floors, you could benefit from professional housecleaning services. My Cleaning Lady is a domestic referral agency. The house cleaners we refer offer complete home cleaning services including thorough dusting at reasonable prices. My Cleaning Lady Referral Agency proudly serves Arcadia, Chino, Chino Hills, Duarte, Ontario, Pomona, LaVerne, Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana, Montclair, Claremont, Phillips Ranch, Upland, West Covina, Glendora, San Dimas, and Sierra Madre. Visit http://www.mycleaninglady.com/or call (909) 593-6690 for information or to arrange a free estimate.
- 21 March, 2016
- 07 March, 2016