- 05 April, 2016
Making a Holiday Cleaning List—and checking it twice!
Cleaning the whole house before hosting company during the holidays might seem insurmountable. But, just like any task; it’s more manageable if you break it down into parts. Do a little cleaning each day of the week instead of all at once, and your home will soon be ready for plenty of holiday cheer.
Here’s a sample five-day cleaning plan you could use to prepare your house to impress guests!
- Time to de-clutter the house. Stacks of old magazines and newspapers should go in the recycling bin. Encourage children to organize their toys.
- Move furniture into an “entertaining” configuration. A change in scenery also helps keep your mind sharp, and you might find better locations for some of your favorite furniture pieces. And moving furniture will make it easier to sweep hard-to-reach areas.
- Treat carpet stains with a homemade mixture of peroxide and ammonia. Give the spot a quick vacuuming to further loosen soil.
- Clean the inside and outside of your windows. Use a squeegee and dish soap for professional results with no streaking.
- Scrub bathroom surfaces. Use a Magic Eraser to literally wipe away stains in sinks and on counters and shower doors.
- Wash stemware. You probably don’t use champagne flutes or crystal cocktail glasses every day. So give them a nice wash and dry with a lint-free cloth. Nobody wants to peek through empty glass and see old fingerprint marks, streaks or (worse yet) dead bugs!
- Wipe the exterior of your front door. These tend to collect dust and smudge marks from dirty hands or from kicking the door when hands are occupied.
- Vacuum your floors thoroughly—especially entryways and dining room. Pay special attention to ceiling corners where spiders love to hide. It’s not Halloween. So cobwebs are a definite no-no.
- Polish the silverware! If you have an especially nice table setting, you’ll want place settings to shine when your in-laws visit.
- Dust surfaces using a microfiber cloth that uses the magic power of static electricity to pull in dust instead of simply pushing it into the air.
- For a shiny glow, use furniture polish on wood surfaces.
- Do a final cleaning of daily use areas like kitchen and bathroom countertops.
- Finish all of the weekly laundry and be sure it’s folded and put away.
- Eliminate any pesky odors by emptying all trash cans. You can also use white vinegar in the empty dishwasher and washing machine to knock out stale smells.
- Gather all remaining dish clutter such as cups and bowls and move them to your newly cleaned dishwasher.
Overwhelmed by the holiday season? Between working, making travel plans, and shopping for the perfect gift for your picky aunt, you are likely short on time. If you need some help during the holiday season, contact the expert staff at My Cleaning Lady. We would love to quickly and thoroughly clean your entire home so you can focus on being a great host.
My Cleaning Lady offers complete home cleaning services at reasonable prices. Currently offered cleaning specials include one hour free of cleaning with the purchase of five hours of one-time service, and a 15 percent discount off one-year prepayment of recurring housecleaning service. My Cleaning Lady is a domestic referral agency. The house cleaners we refer offer complete home cleaning services including thorough dusting at reasonable prices. My Cleaning Lady Referral Agency proudly serves Arcadia, Chino, Chino Hills, Duarte, Ontario, Pomona, LaVerne, Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana, Montclair, Claremont, Phillips Ranch, Upland, West Covina, Glendora, San Dimas, and Sierra Madre. Visit http://www.mycleaninglady.com/or call (909) 593-6690 for information or to arrange a free estimate.
- 21 March, 2016
- 07 March, 2016